On April 8, 2019, an event was held at Columbia University, New York, to mark the tenth anniversary of this website High Peaks Pure Earth. We’d like to thank all those who attended and have given help, support and encouragement to us over the years.
The event kicked off with an introduction from Eveline Washul from Columbia University’s Modern Tibetan Studies Department followed by a presentation by the editor of High Peaks Pure Earth, Dechen Pemba. The presentation took the audience back to the website’s beginnings in 2008, when it was a small blog founded by Tsering Shakya and Dechen Pemba. Post highlights from over the years were presented as well as challenges to social media monitoring.
Then two video messages were played to those in attendance. Below are the video messages received from writer and poet Tsering Woeser in Beijing and poet and translator Bhuchung D. Sonam in Dharamsala.
The final part of the event saw a roundtable discussion and Q&A take place with Columbia University PhD students and High Peaks Pure Earth contributors Riga Shakya and Palden Gyal.
The event was the perfect opportunity to publicly acknowledge all those who have worked so hard to make this website what it is. From the most translated and read writer Tsering Woeser to regular translators and guest contributors Palden Gyal, Bhuchung D. Sonam, Riga Shakya, Francoise Robin and Lowell Cook, this website is a huge group effort. There are also translators and helpers who wish to remain anonymous but we are very grateful to them.
Finally, to all the readers who read, discuss and share our posts, thank you! We always learn a lot from you from our social channels on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
For those interested in watching the whole event, the livestream video is archived on Facebook here. Below is the presentation that was made by editor of High Peaks Pure Earth, Dechen Pemba.
Notable posts for further reading:
- September: Why Armchair Revolutionaries Hate Tibet
- October: Harry Potter Goes to Tibet
- November: “They” By Jamyang Kyi
- January: “No Losar” poetry
- January: ‘Let Us Make Lamp Offerings and Light Candles to Commemorate the Souls of the Deceased’ by Woeser
- “I Am Tibetan” poetry
- March: “New Generation” (music video) By Green Dragon
- August: “The Sound of Unity” (music video) By Sherten
- May: “Lhasa’s Important Toilets” By Woeser
- August: “Those People” By Theurang
- August: “Waterfall of Beer” By Rinpung Tenchoe
- October: Emoji Poem “Longing” By Kyabchen Dedrol, introduction by Lowell Cook
- July: “Fly” (music video) By ANU
- January: A Collection of Tibetan Jokes
- March: “The Silence of the State: The Jokhang Fire and the Response of the Chinese Government” By Françoise Robin
- May: “1376” (music video) By ANU
- August: “City” (music video) By Lobsang Nyima
Twice a Year: Tibet Reading Lists
List of useful resources:
- Tibetan and Himalayan Library Places Database: http://www.thlib.org/places/
- Tibetan and Himalayan Library Tibetan to English Translation Tool: http://www.thlib.org/reference/dictionaries/tibetan-dictionary/translate.php
- Tibetan Names in Simplified Chinese Spreadsheet: https://highpeakspureearth.com/2012/tibetan-names-in-simplified-chinese-1/
This post is also available in: English