High Peaks Pure Earth presents the Winter 2019 Reading List! We’ve updated the previous Summer Reading List to include 21 more titles covering the span of the entire Tibetan Buddhist world. Please note the reading list is best viewed on your computer’s browser, each link opens in a new tab.
If you think we’ve missed anything or if you have a particular recommendation please feel free to get in touch with us, it’s impossible for us to keep track of all Tibet-related publications! You’re also welcome as always to write your own short reviews in the comments.
We’ve added the following 21 books (in no particular order) to the existing reading list.
English language titles:
- Tibetan Resettlement Stories: Voices of Boston
- Blossoming Broken Flowers: Selected Writings from High Peaks Pure Earth
- Frontier Tibet: Patterns of Change in the Sino-Tibetan Borderlands, Edited by Stéphane Gros
- “The Tibetan Suitcase” By Tsering Namgyal Khortsa
- “TIBET: Reports from Exile” By Thubten Samphel
- “Tsongkhapa: A Buddha in the Land of Snows” By Thupten Jinpa
- “Sera Monastery” By José Cabezón and Penpa Dorjee
- “A History of Modern Tibet Volume 4: In the Eye of the Storm, 1957-1959” By Melvyn C. Goldstein
- “The Faults of Meat: Tibetan Buddhist Writings on Vegetarianism” Edited by Geoffrey Barstow
- “The Great Game in the Buddhist Himalayas: India and China’s Quest for Strategic Dominance” By Phunchok Stobdan
- “Resistance and Unity: The Chinese Invasion, Makchi Shangri Lhagyal, and a History of Tibet (1947-1959)” By Tashi Gelek, Dorjee Damdul and Tashi Dhondup
- “Ocean of Milk, Ocean of Blood: A Mongolian Monk in the Ruins of the Qing” By Matthew King
- “Reasons and Lives in Buddhist Traditions: Tibetan and Buddhist Studies in Honor of Matthew Kapstein” Edited by Dan Arnold, Cécile Ducher and Pierre-Julien Harter
- “The Other Emptiness: Rethinking the Zhentong Buddhist Discourse in Tibet” Edited by Michael R. Sheehy and Klaus-Dieter Mathes
- “Mind Seeing Mind: Mahamudra and the Geluk Tradition of Tibetan Buddhism” By Roger R. Jackson
- “Tibet: When the Gods Spoke, India-Tibet Relations 1947-1962, Part 3 (July 1954-February 1957)” By Claude Arpi
- “Tibetan Nation: A History Of Tibetan Nationalism And Sino-Tibetan Relations” By Warren Smith
- “Becoming Bilingual in School and Home in Tibetan Areas of China: Stories of Struggle” By YiXi LaMuCuo
- “Chinese Influences on Modern Tibetan Writings: A Study of Selected Writings of Yidam Tsering and Dhondup Gyal” By Sonam Dolkar
French language titles:
- “L’Age d’Or Du Tibet (xviie Et Xviiie Siecles)” By Katia Buffetrille
- “108 devinettes du Tibet”, écrit par Françoise Robin et Véronique Gossot, et illustré par Sènga la Rouge
**Click through each of the above links to see short descriptions of the books**
The reading list is mainly a guide to what Tibet-related books have been published and look interesting. For a more in-depth look at selected publications, please go to the book reviews section: http://highpeakspureearth.com/category/book-reviews/
For convenience, an overview of the above books is in one place on Amazon here.
The next Tibet Reading List will be out in Summer 2020. Happy reading till then!