High Peaks Pure Earth presents the Winter 2014 Reading List – books on all aspects of Tibet! After Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Giving Tuesday, why not unplug all devices and curl up with a good book?!
We’ve updated our Summer 2014 reading list with ten more titles and happily, many of them are by women, including a strong contribution from Tibetan female scholar Yudru Tsomu.
This year at High Peaks Pure Earth we’ve been very fortunate in having the eminent Jonathan Mirsky write several guest posts in the way of book reviews, see them all here: http://highpeakspureearth.com/tag/jonathan-mirsky/
A big thank you to “Tweeps” who responded to our call for suggestions for the reading list: @RobbieBarnett, @AndrewQuintman @pchilimzam
Please feel free to get in touch with us if you have your own recommendation or to write your own short reviews in the comments.
We’ve added the following ten books (in no particular order) to the existing reading list:
- “Meltdown in Tibet” By Michael Buckley
- “The Emperor Far Away: Travels at the Edge of China” By David Eimer
- “The Illusive Play: The Autobiography of the Fifth Dalai Lama” By Samten G Karmay
- “Himalayan Passages: Tibetan and Newar Studies in Honor of Hubert Decleer” Eds. Benjamin Bogin and Andrew Quintman
- “The Archaeology of Tibetan Books” By Agnieszka Helman-Ważny
- “Being Human in a Buddhist World: An Intellectual History of Medicine in Early Modern Tibet” By Janet Gyatso
- “The Rise of Gonpo Namgyel in Kham: The Blind Warrior of Nyarong” By Yudru Tsomu
- “Love and Liberation: Autobiographical Writings of the Tibetan Buddhist Visionary Sera Khandro” By Sarah H. Jacoby
- “The Social Life of Tibetan Biography” By Amy Holmes-Tagchungdarpa
- “Buddha’s Word: The Life of Books in Tibet and Beyond” Exhibition Catalogue
Click through each of the above links to see short descriptions of the books. Happy reading!