High Peaks Pure Earth presents the Summer 2014 Reading List – books on all aspects of Tibet!
We’ve updated our Winter 2013 reading list with fifteen more titles and there’s a bit of something for everyone in the list, from fiction to Tibetan language learning! Please get in touch with us if you have your own recommendation or feel free to write your own short reviews in the comments.
We also received these recommendations from the above Tweeps: Dharamsala Days, Dharamsala Nights By Pauline MacDonald and free downloads from Asian Highlands Perspectives A Namuyi Tibetan Woman’s Journey from Chinese Village to Indian City to Beijing and Mushroom Ghosts, Belligerent Yaks, and Cranberry Cocktails: A Brag ‘go Tibetan Woman’s Early Life
We’ve added the following sixteen books (in no particular order) to the existing reading list:
- “Grains of Gold: Tales of a Cosmopolitan Traveler” By Gendun Chopel (Transl. by Thupten Jinpa and Donald S Lopez Jr.)
- “Windhorse” By Kaushik Barua
- “Fearless in Tibet: The Life of the Mystic Tertön Sogyal” By Matteo Pistono
- “The Unbearable Dreamworld of Champa the Driver” By Chan Koonchung
- “My Tibetan Childhood: When Ice Shattered Stone” By Naktsang Nulo (Transl. by Angus Cargill and Sonam Lhamo)
- “Tibetans Who Escaped the Historian’s Net” Edited by Charles Ramble, Peter Schwieger & Alice Travers
- “Land of Pure Vision: The Sacred Geography of Tibet and the Himalaya” By David Zurick, Foreword by Eric Valli
- “Hollywood’s Representations of the Sino-Tibetan Conflict: Politics, Culture and Globalization” By Jenny George Daccache and Brandon Valeriano
- “A Change in Worlds on the Sino-Tibetan Borderlands: Politics, Economies, and Environments in Northern Sichuan” By Jack Patrick Hayes
- “Mapping Shangrila: Contested Landscapes in the Sino-Tibetan Borderlands” Edited by Emily Yeh and Chris Coggins
- “Gendun Chopel – Tibet’s First Modern Artist” By Donald S. Lopez Jr.
- “Bodies in Balance: The Art of Tibetan Medicine” Edited by Theresia Hofer
- “Colloquial Tibetan: The Complete Course for Beginners” By Jonathan Samuels
- “The Monasteries of Amdo: A Comprehensive Guide to the Monasteries of the Amdo Region of Tibet” By Stewart Smith
- “Rewriting Shangri-la: Tibetan Youth, Migrations and Literacies in Mcleod Ganj, India” By Heidi Swank
- “Mandarin Gate” By Eliot Pattison
Click through each of the above links to see short descriptions of the books. Happy reading!