High Peaks Pure Earth presents the Summer 2018 Reading List! We’ve updated the previous Winter Reading List to include 26 (!) more titles covering the span of the entire Tibetan Buddhist world. Please note the reading list is best viewed on your computer’s browser, each link opens in a new tab.
For the first time we have included non-English language titles, scroll down to see those three titles. We have also included some titles that may not be directly Tibet-related but we think may be of interest about neighbouring lands and communities.
If we’ve missed anything or if you have a particular recommendation please feel free to get in touch with us! Thank you to everyone on Twitter who passed on suggestions, these can all be seen using the #TibetReadingList hashtag. You’re also welcome as always to write your own short reviews in the comments.
We’ve added the following 26 books (in no particular order) to the existing reading list.
English Language Publications
- “In Diasporic Lands: Tibetan Refugees and their Transformation since the Exodus” By Sudeep Basu
- “The Hybridity of Buddhism: Contemporary Encounters between Tibetan and Chinese Traditions in Taiwan and the Mainland” By Fabienne Jagou
- “Blessings from Beijing: Inside China’s Soft-Power War on Tibet” By Greg Bruno
- “Darjeeling Reconsidered: Histories, Politics, Environments” Edited by Townsend Middleton and Sara Shneiderman
- “Tibetan Caravans: Journeys from Leh to Lhasa” By Abdul Wahid Radhu
- “Tibet: The Last Months of a Free Nation, India -Tibet Relations 1947-1962, Part 1” By Claude Arpi
- “Murals of Tibet” By Thomas Laird
- “Routledge Handbook of Asian Borderlands” Edited by Alexander Horstmann, Martin Saxer, Alessandro Rippa
- “Mount Wutai: Visions of a Sacred Buddhist Mountain” By Wen-shing Chou
- “The Uyghur Community: Diaspora, Identity and Geopolitics” Editors: Kurmangaliyeva Ercilasun, Güljanat, Ercilasun, Konuralp
- “The Dalai Lama’s advice for children of all ages” By Eva Cirnu and Dominik Czartoryski
- “Journey to Lhasa: The Diary of a Spy” By Sarat Chandra Das
- “A Gathering of Brilliant Moons: Practice Advice from the Rime Masters of Tibet” By Holly Gayley and Josh Schapiro
- “Exile: A Photo Journal 1959-1989”
- “Transcultural Encounters in the Himalayan Borderlands: Kalimpong as a ‘Contact Zone'” By Markus Viehbeck
- “Forging the Golden Urn: The Qing Empire and the Politics of Reincarnation in Tibet” By Max Oidtmann
- “Medicine and Memory in Tibet: Amchi Physicians in an Age of Reform” By Theresia Hofer
- “Costumes and Jewellery of Tibet” By Namgyal L. Taklha
- “The Passion Book: A Tibetan Guide to Love and Sex” By Gendun Chopel
- “Sacred Mandates: Asian International Relations since Chinggis Khan” Edited by Timothy Brook, Michael van Walt van Praag, Miek Boltjes
- “Gendun Chopel: Tibet’s Modern Visionary” By Donald S Lopez Jr
- “The Battle for Fortune: State-Led Development, Personhood, & Power among Tibetans in China” by Charlene Makley
- “Pastures of Change: Contemporary Adaptations & Transformations among Nomadic Pastoralists of Eastern Tibet” By Gillian Tan
Non-English Language Publications
- Musique et épopée en Haute-Asie. Mélanges offerts à Mireille Helffer à l’occasion de son 90e anniversaire
- “Für Freiheit bereue ich nichts” By Shokjang
- “Tibetische Kinder für Schweizer Familien: Die Aktion Aeschimann” By Sabine Bitter & Nathalie Nad-Abonji
*Click through each of the above links to see short descriptions of the books*
The reading list is mainly a guide to what Tibet-related books have been published and look interesting. For a more in-depth look at selected publications, please go to the book reviews section: http://highpeakspureearth.com/category/book-reviews/
The next reading list will be out in Winter 2018. Happy reading till then!