Published by Routledge in December 2013, “Colloquial Tibetan” by Jonathan Samuels provides a step-by-step course in Central Tibetan as it is spoken by native speakers. Two 60-minute CDs (or MP3s) are also available which reinforce material from the book.
From the Routledge website:
Combining a thorough treatment of the language as it is used in everyday situations with an accurate written representation of this spoken form, it equips learners with the essential skills needed to communicate confidently and effectively in Tibetan in a broad range of situations. No prior knowledge of the language is required.
Key features include:
- progressive coverage of speaking, listening, reading and writing skills
- phonetic transliteration of the Tibetan script throughout the course to aid pronunciation and understanding of the writing system
- structured, jargon-free explanations of grammar
- an extensive range of focused and stimulating exercises
- realistic and entertaining dialogues covering a broad variety of scenarios
- useful vocabulary lists throughout the text
- additional resources available at the back of the book, including a full answer key, a grammar section, bilingual glossaries and English translations of dialogues.
Balanced, comprehensive and rewarding, Colloquial Tibetan will be an indispensable resource both for independent learners and for students taking courses in Tibetan.
Buy the book on Amazon here: http://amzn.to/1msOPLZ