High Peaks Pure Earth presents the Winter 2018 Reading List! We’ve updated the previous Summer Reading List to include 17 more titles covering the span of the entire Tibetan Buddhist world. Please note the reading list is best viewed on your computer’s browser, each link opens in a new tab. Alternatively, see all the titles on Amazon in one place here.
Readers may notice that some of the books are not especially new. It could be that we sometimes miss book releases or they only come to our attention much later, as was the case with some titles in this list.
Therefore if you think we’ve missed anything or if you have a particular recommendation please feel free to get in touch with us, it’s impossible for us to keep track of all Tibet-related publications! You’re also welcome as always to write your own short reviews in the comments.
We’ve added the following 17 books (in no particular order) to the existing reading list.
English Language Publications
- “The Handsome Monk and Other Stories” By Tsering Döndrup. Translated by Christopher Peacock.
- “The Sound of Vultures’ Wings: The Tibetan Buddhist Chod Ritual Practice of the Female Buddha Machik Labdron” By Jeffrey W. Cupchik
- “Sexuality in Classical South Asian Buddhism” By José Ignacio Cabezón
- “Mural Art – Studies on Paintings in Asia” By Cristophe Munier-Gallard
- “The Monastery Rules: Buddhist Monastic Organization in Pre-Modern Tibet” By Berthe Jansen
- “Islamic Shangri-La: Inter-Asian Relations and Lhasa’s Muslim Communities, 1600 to 1960” By David G. Atwill
- “Windhorse Warrior” By RC Friedericks
- “Enticement: Stories of Tibet” By Pema Tseden, Patricia Schiaffini-Vedani, Editor/translator, Michael Monhart – Editor/translator
- “Two More Years” By Tendar Tsering
- “From a Trickle to a Torrent Education, Migration, and Social Change in a Himalayan Valley of Nepal” By Geoff Childs and Namgyal Choedup
- “Sikkim – Dawn of Democracy” By GBS Sidhu
- “Dreams in Thin Air” By Michael Nybrandt and illustrated by Thomas Mikkelsen
- “Dorje the Yak” By Caryn Hartman, Lexi Vay and Gangkar Lhamo
- “Alchi – Treasure of the Himalayas” By Peter van Ham, with Amy Heller and Likir Monastery
- “Introduction to the Tibetan Language, An eTextbook for spoken and literary Tibetan” By Ruth Gamble, Tenzin Ringpapontsang, Chung Tsering and Grazia Scotellaro
- “Reincarnation in Tibetan Buddhism The Third Karmapa and the Invention of a Tradition” By Ruth Gamble
- “Fire Under the Snow” By Palden Gyatso – *a late addition to the list in honour of Palden Gyatso who passed away last month.*
**Click through each of the above links to see short descriptions of the books**
The reading list is mainly a guide to what Tibet-related books have been published and look interesting. For a more in-depth look at selected publications, please go to the book reviews section: http://highpeakspureearth.com/category/book-reviews/
The next reading list will be out in Summer 2019. Happy reading till then!