High Peaks Pure Earth presents the Summer 2019 Reading List! We’ve updated the previous Winter Reading List to include 18 more titles covering the span of the entire Tibetan Buddhist world. Please note the reading list is best viewed on your computer’s browser, each link opens in a new tab. Alternatively, see all the titles on Amazon in one place here.
Readers may notice that some of the books are not that new. It could be that we sometimes miss book releases or they only come to our attention much later, as was the case with some titles in this list. Thank you to authors, publishers and readers who have brought titles to our attention.
If you think we’ve missed anything or if you have a particular recommendation please feel free to get in touch with us, it’s impossible for us to keep track of all Tibet-related publications! You’re also welcome as always to write your own short reviews in the comments.
We’ve added the following 18 books (in no particular order) to the existing reading list.
- “Creating the Universe: Depictions of the Cosmos in Himalayan Buddhism” By Eric Huntington
- “The Lhasa House: Typology of an Endangered Species” By André Alexander
- “Inseparable across Lifetimes: The Lives and Love Letters of the Tibetan Visionaries Namtrul Rinpoche and Khandro Tare Lhamo” By Namtrul Jigme Phuntsok and Khandro Tare Lhamo
- “Tibetan Subjectivities on the Global Stage: Negotiating Dispossession” Edited by Shelly Bhoil and Enrique Galvan-Alvarez
- “Morality and Monastic Revival in Post-Mao Tibet” By Jane Caple
- “Lt. Col. Frederick Marshman Bailey, C.I.E. – Explorer, Spy & Diplomat” By Rafaela Mottram
- “Mystifying China’s Southwest Ethnic Borderlands: Harmonious Heterotopia” By Yuqing Yang
- “Tibet with My Eyes Closed” By Madhu Gurung
- “The Life of Jamgon Kongtrul the Great” By Alexander Gardner
- “Tibet: the Bradt Travel Guide” By Michael Buckley
- “My Phenomenal Tibet Journey” By Tenzin Choekyi
- “Love In No Man’s Land” By Duo Ji Zhuo Ga
- “Trading Caterpillar Fungus in Tibet: When Economic Boom Hits Rural Area” By Emilia Roza Sulek
- “The Jebumgang Temple: Ritual Architecture and the Defense of the Modern Tibetan State” By Matthew Akester
- “Faith and Empire: Art and Politics in Tibetan Buddhism” Edited by Karl Debreczeny
- “The Resurgence of ‘Buddhist Government’: Tibetan-Mongolian Relations in the Modern World” By Yumiko Ishihama, Makoto Tachibana, Ryosuke Kobayashi and Takehiko Inoue
- “Buddhism and the Military in Tibet during the Ganden Phodrang Period (1642-1959)” Edited by Alice Travers and Frederica Venturi
**Click through each of the above links to see short descriptions of the books**
The reading list is mainly a guide to what Tibet-related books have been published and look interesting. For a more in-depth look at selected publications, please go to the book reviews section: http://highpeakspureearth.com/category/book-reviews/
The next reading list will be out in Winter 2019. Happy reading till then!
To see all the books from the past reading lists, please visit the permanent link: http://highpeakspureearth.com/category/reading-list/
This post is also available in: English